DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
OFFICE OF INDIAN AFFAIRS
CHIPPEWA CREE TRIBE OF THE
ROCKY BOY'S RESERVATION
RATIFIED JULY 25, 1936
GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE
WASHINGTON : 1937
CORPORATE CHARTER OF THE CHIPPEWA CREE TRIBE
OF THE ROCKY BOY'S RESERVATION
A FEDERAL CORPORATION CHARTERED UNDER
THE ACT OF JUNE 18, 1934
Whereas, the Chippewa Cree Tribe of the Rocky Boy's Reservation in Montana, a recognized Indian tribe organized under a constitution and by-laws ratified by the Tribe on November 2, 1934, and approved by the Secretary of the Interior on November 23, 1935, pursuant to section 16 of the Act of June 18, 1934, (48 Stat. 984), as amended by the Act of June 15, 1935 (49 Stat. 378) ; and
Whereas, more than one-third of the adult members of the Tribe have petitioned that a charter of incorporation be granted to such Tribe, subject to ratification by a vote of the adult Indians living on the reservation;
Now, therefore, I, Harold L. Ickes, Secretary of
the Interior, by virtue of the authority conferred upon me by the said
Act of June 18, 1934, (48 Stat. 984), do hereby issue and submit this charter
of incorporation to the Chippewa Cree Tribe of the Rocky Boy's Reservation
to be effective from and after such time as it may be ratified by a majority
vote in an election at which at least thirty per cent of the adult Indians
living on the reservation shall vote.
|Corporate Existence and Purposes.||
1. In order to further the economic development of the Chippewa Cree Tribe of the Rocky Boy's Reservation in Montana by conferring upon the said Tribe certain corporate rights, powers, privileges and immunities; to secure for the members of the Tribe an assured economic independence; and to provide for the proper exercise by the Tribe of various functions heretofore performed by the Department of the Interior, the aforesaid Tribe is hereby chartered as a body politic and corporate of the United States of America, under the corporate name "The Chippewa Cree Tribe of the Rocky Boy's Reservation."
2. The Chippewa Cree Tribe of the Rocky Boy's Reservation shall, as a Federal Corporation, have perpetual succession.
3. The Chippewa Cree Tribe of the Rocky Boy's Reservation shall be a membership corporation. Its members shall consist of all persons now or hereafter members of the Tribe as provided by its duly ratified and approved Constitution and By-laws.
4. The Business Committee of the Chippewa Cree Tribe, established in accordance with the said Constitution and By-laws of the Tribe, shall exercise all the corporate powers hereinafter enumerated.
5. The Tribe, subject to any restrictions contained in the Constitution and laws of the United States, or in the Constitution and By-laws of the said Tribe, shall have the following corporate powers, in addition to all powers already guaranteed conferred by the Tribal Constitution and By-laws:(a) To adopt, use, and alter at its pleasure a corporate seal.
|Termination of Supervisory Powers.||
6. Upon the request of the Business Committee for the termination of any supervisory power reserved to the Secretary of the Interior under sections 5 (b) (3), 5 (c), 5 ,(e), 5 (f ), 5 (g), and section 8 of this charter, the Secretary of the Interior, if he shall thereupon submit the question of such termination to the Tribe for referendum. The termination shall be effective upon ratification by a majority vote at an election in which at least thirty per cent of the adult members of the Tribe residing on the reservation shall vote. If at any time after five years from the effective date of this charter, such request shall be made and the Secretary shall disapprove it or fail to approve or disapprove within ninety days after its receipt the question of the termination of any such power may then be submitted by the Secretary of the Interior or by the Business Committee, to popular referendum of the adult members of the Tribe actually living within the reservation and if the termination is approved by two-thirds of the eligible voters, shall be effective.
7. No property rights of the Chippewa Cree Tribe, as heretofore constituted, shall be in any way impaired by anything contained in this charter, and the tribal ownership of unallotted lands, whether or not assigned to the use of any particular individuals, is hereby expressly recognized. The individually owned property of members of the Tribe shall not be subject to any corporate debts or liabilities, without such owners' consent. Any existing lawful debts of the Tribe shall continue in force, except as such debts may be satisfied or cancelled pursuant to law.
8. The Tribe may issue to each of its members a non-transferable certificate of membership evidencing the equal share of each member in the assets of the Tribe and may distribute per capita, among the recognized members of the Tribe, all profits of corporate enterprises or income over and above sums necessary to defray corporate obligations and over and above all sums which may be devoted to the establishment of a reserve fund, the construction of public works, the costs of public enterprises, the expenses of tribal government, the needs of charity, or other corporate purpose. No such distribution of profits or income in any one year amounting to more than $20.00 shall be made without the approval of the Secretary of the Interior. No distribution of the financial assets of the Tribe shall be made except as provided herein or as authorized by Congress.
9. This charter shall not be revoked or surrendered except by act of Congress, but amendments may be proposed by resolutions of the Business Committee, which, if approved by the Secretary of the Interior, to be effective shall be ratified by a majority vote of the adult members living on the reservation at a popular referendum in which at least 30 percent of the eligible voters vote.
10. This charter shall be effective from and after the date of its ratification by a majority vote of the adult members of the Chippewa Cree Tribe living on the Rocky Boy's Reservation, provided at least 30 per cent of the eligible voters shall vote, such ratification to be formally certified by the Superintendent of the Rocky Boy's Agency and the Chairman of the Business Committee of the Chippewa Cree Tribe.
Submitted by the Secretary of the Interior for ratification by the Chippewa Cree Tribe of the Rocky Boy's Reservation in a popular referendum to be held on July 25, 1936.
HAROLD L. ICKES,
Secretary of the Interior.
WAHINGTON, D. C., July 18, 1936.
It is hereby certified that the Charter of Incorporation, issued to the Chippewa Cree Tribe of the Rocky Boy's Reservation, in Montana, by the Secretary of the Interior under date of July 18, 1936, was duly ratified at an election held July 25, 1936, at which more than thirty per cent of the eligible voters of the Rocky Boy's Reservation voted (the vote being 161 for ratification and 5 against; the number of eligible voters being 270).
Chairman, Business Committee.
Superintendent, Rocky Boy's Agency, Montana.
Dated this 27th day of July, 1936, at Rocky Boy, Montana.