DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
OFFICE OF INDIAN AFFAIRS
CORPORATE CHARTER OF THE
SAC AND FOX TRIBE OF MISSOURI OF THE
SAC AND FOX RESERVATION IN
KANSAS AND NEBRASKA
RATIFIED JUNE 19, 1937
GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE
WASHINGTON : 1937
CORPORATE CHARTER OF THE SAC AND FOX TRIBE
OF MISSOURI OF THE SAC AND FOX RESERVATION
IN KANSAS AND NEBRASKA
A FEDERAL CORPORATION CHARTERED UNDER THE ACT OF
JUNE 18, 1934
Whereas, the Sac and Fox Tribe of Missouri of the Sac and Fox Reservation in Kansas and Nebraska is a recognized Indian tribe organized under a Constitution and By-laws ratified by the Tribe on January 23, 1937, and approved by the Secretary of the Interior on March 2, 1937, pursuant to section 16 of the act of June 18, 1934, (48 Stat. 984), as amended by the Act of June 15, 1935 (49 Stat. 378); and
Whereas, more than one-third of the adult members of the Tribe have petitioned that a charter of incorporation be granted to such Tribe, subject to ratification by a vote of the adult Indians living on the reservation;
Now, therefore, I, Harold L. Ickes, Secretary of
the Interior, by virtue of the authority conferred upon me by the said
Act of June 18, 1934, (48 Stat. 984), do hereby issue and submit this Charter
or incorporation to the Sac and Fox Tribe of Missouri of the Sac and Fox
Reservation to be effective from and after such time as it may be ratified
by a majority vote in an election in which at least 30 per cent of the
adult Indians living on the reservation shall vote.
|Corporate Existence and Purposes.||
1. In order to further the economic development of the Sac and Fox Tribe of Missouri of the Sac and and Fox Reservation in Kansas and Nebraska by conferring upon the said Tribe certain corporate rights, powers, privileges and immunities; to secure for the members of the Tribe an assured economic independence; and to provide for the proper exercise by the Tribe of various functions heretofore performed by the Department of the Interior, the aforesaid Tribe is hereby chartered as a body politic and corporate of the United States of America, under the corporate name "The Sac and Fox Tribe of Missouri."
2. The Sac and Fox Tribe of Missouri shall, as a Federal Corporation, have perpetual succession.
3. The Sac and Fox Tribe of Missouri shall be a membership corporation. Its members shall consist of all persons now or hereafter members of the Tribe, as provided by its duly ratified and approved Constitution and By-laws.
4. The Tribal Council of the Sac and Fox Tribe of Missouri established in accordance with the said Constitution and By-laws of the Tribe, shall exercise all the corporate powers hereinafter enumerated.
5. The Tribe, subject to any restrictions contained in the Constitution and laws of the United States, or in the Constitution and By-laws of the said Tribe, shall have the following corporate powers, in addition to all powers already conferred or guaranteed by the tribal Constitution and By-laws:(a) To adopt, use, and alter at its pleasure a corporate seal.
|Termination of Supervisory Powers.||
6. Upon the request of the Tribal Council for the termination of any supervisory power reserved to the Secretary of the Interior under Sections 5 (b) (3), 5 (c), 5 (d), 5 (f), 5 (g), 5 (h), and section 8 of this Charter, the Secretary of the Interior, if he shall approve such request, shall thereupon submit the question of such termination to the tribe for referendum. The termination shall be effective upon ratification by a majority vote at an election in which at least 30 per cent of the adult members of the Tribe residing on the reservation shall vote. If at any time after ten years from the effective date of this Charter, such request shall be made and the Secretary shall disapprove it or fail to approve or disapprove it within 90 days after its receipt, the question of the termination of any such power may then be submitted by the Secretary of the Interior or by the Tribal Council to popular referendum of the adult members of the Tribe actually living within the reservation and if the termination is approved by two-thirds of the eligible voters, it shall be effective.
7. No property rights of the Sac and Fox Tribe of Missouri, as heretofore constituted, shall be in any way impaired by anything contained in this Charter, and the tribal ownership of unallotted lands, whether or not assigned to the use of any particular individuals, is hereby expressly recognized. The individually owned property of members of the Tribe shall not be subject to any corporate debts or liabilities, without such owners' consent. Any existing lawful debts of the Tribe shall continue in force, except as such debts may be satisfied or canceled pursuant to law.
8. The Tribe may issue to each of its members a non-transferable certificate of membership evidencing the equal share of each member in the assets of the Tribe and may distribute per capita, among the recognized members of the Tribe, all profits of corporate enterprises or income over and above sums necessary to defray corporate obligations and over and above all sums which may be devoted to the establishment of a reserve fund, the construction of public works, the costs of public enterprises, the expenses of tribal government, the needs of charity, or other corporate purpose. No such distribution of profits or income in any one year amounting to a distribution of more than one-half of the accrued surplus shall be made without the approval of the Secretary of the Interior. No distribution of the financial assets of the Tribe shall be made except as provided herein or as authorized by Congress.
9. The officers of the Tribe shall maintain accurate and complete public accounts of the financial affairs of the Tribe, which shall clearly show all credits, debts, pledges, and assignments, and shall furnish an annual balance sheet and report of the financial affairs of the Tribe to the Commissioner of Indian Affairs. The Treasurer of the Tribe shall be the custodian of all moneys which come under the jurisdiction or control of the Tribal Council.
10. This Charter shall not be revoked or surrendered except by Act of Congress, but amendments may be proposed by resolutions of the Council which, if approved by the Secretary of the Interior, shall be effective when ratified by a majority vote of the adult members living on the reservation at a popular referendum in which at least 30 per cent of the eligible voters vote.
11. This Charter shall be effective from and after the date of its ratification by a majority vote of the adult members of the Sac and Fox Tribe of Missouri living on the Sac and Fox Reservation, provided at least 30 per cent of the eligible voters shall vote, such ratification to be formally certified by the Superintendent of the Potawatomi Indian Agency and the Chairman of the Tribal Council.
HAROLD L. ICKES,
WASHINGTON, D. C., May 25, 1937.
Pursuant to section 17 of the Act of June 18, 1934 (48 Stat. 984), this Charter, issued on May 25, 1937, by the Secretary of the Interior to the Sac and Fox Tribe of Missouri of the Sac and Fox Reservation in Nebraska and Kansas, was duly submitted for ratification to the adult Indians living on the reservation and was on June 19, 1937, duly ratified by a vote of nine for and none against, in an election in which over 30 per cent of those entitled to vote cast their ballots.
CHARLES W. ROBIDOUX,
H. E. BRUCE,
Superintendent of the Potawatomi Indian Agency.