TIMBER CUTTING PERMITS
A. General Use, Rules and Regulations.
1. All timber permits will be issued in accordance with this Ordinance. Permits will be obtained from the Oglala Sioux Tribal Land Office.
2. Permits shall be issued only to enrolled adult members of the Oglala Sioux Tribe.
3. Permits shall not be transferable from the permittee to another individual.
4. No permit shall be issued for cutting of timber in a tribally designated recreation area, ceremonial ground or similar location.
5. During the fire season, as determined necessary by the Oglala Sioux Tribal Land Office, permits may be limited and/or terminated during fire emergency periods.
6. Failure of the permittee to comply with the permit stipulations will result in immediate cancellation of his permit .
B. Free Use Permits.
1. Free Use Permits may be issued for:
a. Use of timber for the improvement, maintenance and construction of tribal property and other legitimate tribal purposes.
b. Reservation, educational and missionary groups where use of timber will benefit the reservation and members of the Tribe.
c. The taking of firewood by tribal members from tribal lands for their personal use. Logging slash, thinning slash or dead timber only may be taken for firewood.
2. Free use permit cutting will normally be confined to salvage of damaged or dead timber to the greatest possible extent.
C. Paid Permits.
1. The stumpage value which may be cut in any one year by any individual shall not exceed $2,500.00.
2. Stumpage payments will be made in advance of the approval of the permit .
3. The President of the Oglala Sioux Tribe is authorized and directed to approve all properly drawn permits for the sale of forest products issued in accordance with the policies herein for and on behalf of the Oglala Sioux Tribe.
D. Stumpage Rates.
The following stumpage rates will be in effect for permits approved finder this
Annual Policy Statement:
1. Sawlogs including house logs
-- Green and merchantable dead - $5.00 a log.
2. Fence Posts
-- .50 per post:
3. Fuel Wood
-- $5.00 per pickup load if being sold. No charge for own use.
4. Poles (teepee, corral, rails, etc.).
-- $3.00 per pole.
5. Tree Boughs
-- No charge for cutting tree boughs
-- The cutting of tree boughs does not include falling/cutting the entire tree. Pruning/cutting of tree boughs is limited to the lower one third (1/3) of the crown.
HIST: Ordinance 86-04.